Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Legend of the Dogwood

I'm going to use the Legend of the Dogwood today in my children's sermon, so I thought I would share it here. Although I'm sure someone made it up, it still symbolizes some important parts of the Easter story.

"And when they were come to a place called Calvary, there they crucified him..." (Luke 23:33).

In Jesus' time the dogwood tree grew much larger, and it was firm and strong. As it turned out, this was the type of tree chosen to make the cross on which Christ would be crucified. Because of this, it would never again be useful. From that time on, the dogwood would grow small
and twisted and wouldn't be used for building or carpentry. Instead, it would be a beautiful, ornamental tree. It's white flower would represent the purity of Jesus, and the four petals would look like a cross. In the center of each blossom is a textured, green center to remind us of the crown of thorns placed upon His head. Each petal is tipped with a dark stain to represent the blood Jesus shed for you and me. And, of course, the dogwood tree blooms sometime around the Easter season.

"And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my Spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost" (Luke 23:46).


Some say it's bad luck to cut down a dogwood tree, for they should be protected. I think it's even more important to protect our faith and share Easter's gospel message with others. May the dogwood remind us all of what's really important in our lives.

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matthew 28:19).
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment