Saturday, April 25, 2015

Real People in Historical Fiction


Tom Dooley
When I'm writing historical fiction, I've always used fictional characters for the main ones. I have a problem using historical figures and making them do imaginary things they aren't likely to have done. I don't think this is fair to the real people, because I wouldn't like for an author to use me as a character in a novel and have me act in ways I would never act. However, I know I'm in the minority on this issue. Writers, like Sharyn McCrumb, have made a reputation for themselves by doing exactly this. I still have problems with her Ballad of Tom Dooley, where, in my opinion, none of the characters are likable and all are stereotypically mountain trash.  


In Stephanie Landsem's Christian novel, The Well, the facts are stretched for the sake of the novel. The words of Jesus from the Bible are usually used as His dialogue, but they are given in different settings than the Bible says. Then, Stephen, the martyr from the New Testament, is a contemporary of Jesus, which wasn't true, because Stephen lived during Paul's time. In addition, the man who becomes Stephen is a main character, and you know how that ends.


Wilkes County Heritage Museum
Perhaps the historian in me is too much a stickler for the facts. I do as much thorough research as possible and fill in what makes sense to me when there is no other choice. My main characters are fictitious, so, when I put thoughts in their heads and words in their mouths, I'm not slandering those who really lived.


I do occasionally use real people in my novels for local flavor, but they have very minor appearances. For example, in Cleared for Planting, Dr. Vierling from Salem is mentioned. He was an elderly man by that time and had been the doctor in Salem for years. Clifton considers settling in the town, because his sister and her husband live there but decides not to, because the Moravians had a fairly closed society, and, although he was of German descent, he was afraid he'd never replace the beloved doctor in their eyes.

In the upcoming novel, Sown in Dark Soil, there are even more real minor characters. I'll look forward to talking about them at a later time. In the meantime, if you're anywhere in the Greenville, NC area, come by the book signing for Cleared for Planting on Monday, April 27, from 7-9 p.m. at Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and you can ask me questions about the novels. All of my profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children.
________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment