Monday, January 9, 2023

 

Writing Delays

My husband and I hadn't been sick in almost fifteen years, not even a cold. However, this year we made up for that by becoming almost bedridden for two weeks. I hope I never have to go through that again. The doctor said I had bronchitis, an ear infection, a respiratory virus, and an eye infection. My temperature soared in the afternoons for over a week, and I didn't feel like doing anything, not even reading. Thankfully I have an Alexa beside my bed and Audible books. It kept me from being bored out of my mind even though I didn't feel like doing anything but lying in bed.

It all began with a trip to Texas to visit family. Although the long drive was tiring, the trip went well, and we enjoyed the visit. On the way home, we swung by Knoxville, Tennessee to spend time with my son and his family. I took my laptop with me, did a little editing, and managed to keep up with anything pressing I needed to do. However, I'd just finished writing a rough draft, and I didn't try to begin
another.

We returned home on a Saturday and had a church Christmas dinner that night. Jim woke up sick Sunday morning and got a deacon to preach for him. I went to bed feeling drained Monday night and woke up sick on Tuesday. It was all downhill for both of us after that. It has taken us two weeks to recover, but we're feeling much better now. However, some nasal drainage and an occasional persistent cough remain.  The doctor warned that it may take a while for these to leave. Jim has recovered more than I have.

I haven't been able to write in a month, and that's unusual for me. I miss it. I started a new manuscript on Tuesday, but it's going slower than usual. I'm beginning Chapter Five today. However, I don't want to push too hard at this point. I sure don't want a relapse. But on the brighter side of my writing world, the new manuscript won't publish until July, so I'm still ahead. I would like to finish it by the end of January, however, so I'm hoping my writing pace picks up as I get further into the book.


_______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment