Monday, January 16, 2023

 A Struggle and a Success

When I began to write Candace: Runaway Brides of the West, I already had the plot firmly established, knew my main characters well, and had decided where the story was going. What I hadn't anticipated is how difficult it was going to be to write. You see, unusual circumstances would cause Jude and Candace to be stuck in a remote cabin in the Rocky Mountains during a harsh, dangerous winter.

Link to Candace

The problem came with the details of the story. Since they were so limited and couldn't be outside much, what could these two characters do that wouldn't become boring to readers?  The tension between them would help make the story interesting, but I still had to decide what scenes to write. Perhaps the fact that I worked hard to overcome the problems actually helped the book because Candace has gotten great reviews, and one reviewer even said this is my best book yet.

I have no idea how well I do on a book and depend on my readers to tell me. I'm too close to them to have any perspective. I review other people's books all the time, but I can't do that for mine since I don't know how to rate them. However, I wasn't surprised when my listeners rated Jared Walters's narration high in the Audible version. He's one of the best narrators I've encountered at correctly interpreting a book with his voice. And he has a smooth voice that's easy to listen to and pulls listeners into the story to keep them there. All in all, what began as a struggle with Candace became a success.


___________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment