Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Where Christian Writers Draw the Line

Christian writers have many choices to make beyond those of writers in general. These all have to do with where we draw the line in our writing. It's important that we stay true to our Lord and our calling. In a field where erotica is the fastest growing market, I think we need to be especially vigilant and aware of our choices. 


However, I don't think we have to dispose of all passion and reduce any romance to boring, insipid paragraphs either. I've had many readers tell me they liked how I wrote such heartfelt love scenes and still  kept them clean. I took this as a great compliment, because this is what I want to do. 


Another area to consider is how much crude language or profanity  will be allowed in a book. I have talked with several writers who include some because they say it is true-to-life. Because I don't like this as a reader and  have issues with  it, I choose not to include any in mine, but I still have to decide where I draw the  line. At one time Christian publishers considered phrases like "Dad burn," "for goodness sake," and "dang" as inappropriate because of what they stood for. I'm probably more careful than most with what I'll use, but we all have to make that decision.

I have also decided not to regularly post promotional ads on Sunday. This is an individual choice of mine, and I don't say it should be a hard-fast rule, but I do think it is something to consider. Again, it should be between you and God and how much you consider His day as a day of rest. The answer to all these choices is to pray and allow God to direct you.
______________________________

8 comments:

  1. Couldnt agree more, your philosophy reminds me of a book I read of my grandmother's years ago, "In His Steps."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post.
    I have a couple of people in my book that are not so nice and need a few good words and have been struggling with having them in the book. I am not one to cuss, even in the rough moments in my life.
    I also have a few romance areas. I also needed some encouraging words on adding romance.
    Can you suggest good Christian books or books authored by Christians that have both or at lest one with a character using bad language and romance included in their books?
    Thanks.
    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda,I have handled this by having a character think or remark about the string of curse words the bad guy used. I didn't have to actually use them. This can be very effective if done right. In addition, clean romance can be very passionate and sensual without step by step descriptions. In fact, I think they are more so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Janice, I am so glad you posted this. I feel the same. I enjoy my writing and am so glad I found the ACFW online group. I would love to get a Christian writing group together in Washington (Little Washington) NC. If you know of anyone who would like to create this group with me I would be delighted. Please email me at: authorlouisedwards@gmail.com I hope this isn't inappropriate. If it is please remove it. God Bless you. Louis Edwards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cursing doesn't even have to be mentioned unless it's important to a scene or to the story. When a character, usually the antagonist, uses profanity in my stories, it's usually enough to simply show my protagonist's response to what was said. It's not necessary to put the actual words in the text. And bad guys using faux curse words, dang it, and such, doesn't cut it in a suspense story or a thriller, so I just show my character's reaction to words I will never put in my reader's minds. Guard your heart applies here and we should try to guard our reader's hearts too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a Christian woman... if I'm not going to speak the words in conversation, then I have no business writing them out. Same with certain other kinds of content. We discuss plenty of hard topics, but we don't go into sexual descriptions. :)
    As HL said, there's no need to use dialog all the time. In moments of stress, show an action or reaction instead of dialog.

    ReplyDelete