Monday, January 7, 2019

National Bobblehead Doll Day


Sports bobbleheads
January 7th is National Bobblehead Doll Day. Who knew? I have to admit, although I've made dolls and collected certain types, I've never given bobbleheads much thought. However, thousands of collectors do, and there's almost every kind of bobblehead doll imaginable. And, if you imagine one that's not there, you can have it made.


Justice Lockwood of the
Arizona Supreme Court
If your curiosity is piqued, you might want to google them. I was astounded by the wide range of bobbleheads. Some caused me to chuckle, and others made me shake my head. There're seemingly endless possibilities in history, sports, careers, and personalities; and you can even have one of yourself, your pet, or whatever you'd like designed and produced.



Bobbleheads are not limited to one nation either. They've gone international and can be found across the world. The illustration on the right shows a Tanjorie bobblehead from India. The dolls actually first appeared in Asia and were called nodders. During the 19th century, a bisque version made their way to the United States, but many of these were produced in Germany. However, they became almost a fad in the 1990's. A few years ago the National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and Museum opened in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Who knew?
_______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment