Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Staying Humble


I have been a writer most of my life. When I taught school, I published magazine articles, since these were shorter projects that required less time than a novel. After I wrote my first novel and began to seek publication, I wanted to make sure I didn't lose sight of my main goal in writing them - to glorify God. I want to inspire and encourage others in their faith as my stories deliver His messages and truths in an entertaining and heartful way. 


However, I could see a pitfall in publishing and marketing. I didn't want to become prideful of my books or promote myself more than God. My pastor at the time assured me that my awareness of the possibility would prevent it from happening, and I hope he was right. In a way, it's been a balancing act. I need to promote my books to gain readers, but I don't want this to become about me or what I've done. I want it to be about God and what He's done for me and through me. In so many ways, His hand has been in it all.


I had a new revelation of sorts this week. My editor and I have found more mistakes and typos in my last published book than usual, and we're working to get them corrected. It bothers me immensely because I want to give readers an outstanding book, and it amazes me how errors can slip through so many edits and sets of educated eyes, usually at least four. Then I thought, perhaps this is one of God's ways of keeping me humble. If so, it's working because I am.
________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment