Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Early to Rise


Depending on circumstances, finding the time to write can be a challenge for authors. For me, it's almost a catch-22. I have little time because of the demands of presentations, book signings, and marketing; but an increase in these mean the books are doing well. However, I need to keep writing, as well. In fact, I'm my happiest when I'm working on a new manuscript.


The answer for me is not ideal, and it came without planning. The older I grow, the more difficult getting a full night's sleep becomes. My mother had this same problem. I normally get to sleep without too many problems, but I wake up too early and can't get back to sleep. I'm usually at my desk writing between 3:00 and 4:00 a.m. This is after reading until around 10:00 the previous night. Apparently, it doesn't take as much sleep for me, and I accomplish a lot this way.


Although I don't recommend getting up this early, I do suggest that writers carve out a time each day reserved for writing. You'll be surprised at how the word count mounts in even small blocks of time held regularly. The flow of your story will come easier, too with daily attention. At least early in the morning, interruptions are less likely; and, with the coffee flowing, I feel fresh and energized. I guess Ben Franklin had something. "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." I'd like to think so, anyway.
________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment