Wednesday, February 21, 2018

How I Time Travel


I love history, which is why I majored in it in college for my bachelor's degree. And growing up in a rural niche of the Appalachians, I lived history in a way. That's also why my favorite books to read and to write are historical fiction. Out of the eleven books I've published so far, seven have been historicals and four contemporaries.



When I write a book, I actually feel as if I'm living in that time period. I walk the unpaved or cobblestoned streets along with my characters. I see what they see and look at the world through their perspectives. This time travel is part of the fun of being an author. With twenty-five manuscripts finished and many more stories in my mind begging to be written, I've lived in many different times and places. 



And if I'm good at what I do, my readers will be able to live in those different times and places for a while, too. More and more readers are telling me exactly that. Two readers this past week said of It All Started at the Masquerade, "I felt like I was right there, sailing down the Chowan River with them." They've become time travelers, too.





__________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment