Thursday, February 16, 2017

Preaching to the Choir


Have you heard the term "preaching to the choir." It usually means preaching to those who come to church and thereby demonstrate their faith. Usually, "preaching to the choir" is considered useless, but is it? I don't think so. This viewpoint almost assumes that once a person is converted or saved, the work is over. I don't agree. I think this is a shortcoming of many churches today. As Christians, we actually do a better job of witnessing than we do of discipling.


I think my husband and I make a good team. He is stronger in witnessing and bringing the lost to Christ. Of course, as a pastor, he also does a good job of growing the faithful. However, my strength is in teaching Christians and encouraging them into a stronger, deeper relationship with the Lord. These weekend blogs are just one small part of that ministry. I feel that all Christians are called to do both to different degrees.


I don't think any of us will ever be in a place in this world that we have all the faith we can have, are perfectly obedient to the Lord, and there's no further room for spiritual growth. In other words, most of us need more instruction, encouragement, and inspiration. I think God expects me to keep learning and putting into practice how to be more Christ-like. We need people to bring the lost into the fold, but we also need people to preach to the choir.


__________________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment