Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Author on Social Media


It recently came to my attention that a few friends and family don't think I should be using social media to get the word out about my writing and books. This shocked me. After all, this is what my publisher insisted that I do. He told me I needed a presence on social media, a website with regular blogs, and other efforts to grow a fan base. I complied and have seen great blessings and another ministry come from it.


It's also what all other authors I know do, and facebook has many pages designed just for this. The one person with a book I could name who doesn't put out information on social media doesn't view himself as a writer but a pastor, and his books haven't sold over a hundred copies in years. I have a personal example of this. Three weeks ago, I published an indie book, With Summer's Songs. However, I found too many mistakes in it and wanted to correct them before I announced its release. It has been on amazon and other sites for a little over three weeks now, and not a single copy has sold. It will begin selling when I announce it's release on social media after I get a clean copy.


Those who follow my writing and anticipate the books I publish love the fact that they can keep up with it all on social media. Instead of a nuisance, they see it as an opportunity to connect with a writer they enjoy. It's all in attitude, perspective, and a heart for people. I write this blog, hoping to encourage understanding and at least tolerance, if not support. I want my books to get in the hands of people and pray they'll encourage, inspire, and deliver God's personal message to each reader. I see writing Christian books as my calling, and all my profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children.
_______________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely and on-line presence is a must and my passion. You need to use social media - but are you using an author page rather than your personal profile. If you're not using a designated page you could look a bit spam my to friends and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am using an author's page, but facebook always shows my posts with the pic from my personal page. Is there a way to change that?

    ReplyDelete