Saturday, December 12, 2015

Working with Editors


I worked with many different editors when I wrote for magazines. Naturally, some were better than others, but I never encountered one I would call "bad." I appreciated their suggestions, because it enabled me to grow as a writer. In fact, with one article that was rejected, the editor told me how I needed to change my focus and made a few other suggestions. I did exactly what he asked, resubmitted it, and it was published.


When I began publishing my historical novels, I didn't know what to expect. I had heard some horror stories from other authors, but I remembered my experience with the magazines and went into it with an open mind. My first editor with Ambassador was one of the best I've ever had. I enjoyed working with her. I didn't relate to the second one quite as well, but we still worked well together.



In looking at self-publishing a couple of my stand-alone novels, I have hired my own editors. I tend to turn to the people I know in the field, and one of them surprised me. She was extremely picky and seems to want me to write my manuscripts exactly the way she would. She has allowed little room for individual author style. However, I'm still trying to keep an open mind. I think her edits will help me get better. I considered everything she suggested, and probably accepted about 90% of them, although I only think about 40% were really helpful.


I have actually edited manuscripts, and one of the author's works has so many mistakes (mainly grammatical), it takes forever. However, I try to allow the authors room for individual style and creativity. I don't make edits for what could be considered acceptable and only note obvious mistakes. Since I have worked from both sides of editing, I have a broad perspective. All authors don't need to write by a formula, and they shouldn't all write alike. I saw the project with this independent editor through, but I didn't use her for the next manuscript. Editors need find a balance between what they think is best and allowing the author some leeway. 
_____________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment