Tuesday, December 22, 2015

An Almost Christmas Birthday

When people find out that my birthday is on December 22, they usually offer their condolences. They make comments like, "Your birthday must have got lost in Christmas," "I bet it seemed as if you never had much of a birthday with Christmas so near," or "How awful for you to get birthday and Christmas presents so close together." 

However, I never minded it. In fact, there were several things I liked about having a birthday a couple of days before Christmas. I was always so excited about Christmas, and, by my birthday, presents were wrapped and under the tree. With my eager anticipation, it was hard to wait, but I always got to open at least one present early - my birthday present. In addition, in 55 years, I never had to go to school on my birthday. (I was a teacher, so I had a long school career.)


When I was born, my father hadn't been home from the military long, and money was tight. I don't think my parents had much for Christmas that year. I was their Christmas present, and Mama always said that I was her best Christmas present ever. Even with it coming so close to Christmas, my parents always managed to made my birthday seem special.
_________________________________

3 comments: