Saturday, August 1, 2015

Writers' Conferences 


I've been to several writers' conferences over the years, and there's been some excellent ones and some not so good ones. I learned quickly to choose wisely based on what I needed, and that will vary for each individual writer. What meets my needs may not work for you. However, there are some general things I've found applicable for most people. 


If you're serious about your writing and publishing, you need to pick a conference geared to your genre, or, at least  includes some sessions about it. For me, that's Christian fiction.  If you can't find one for your specific interest, find one with a wide variety of sessions, because it will give you more choices.


The best ones have publishers and agents that you can sign up to visit one-on-one in a time slot. This is actually where I eventually found my publisher. I've discovered that today a writer needs some kind of connection to get a publisher or agent to look at their work. That can be a recommendation from someone they respect or meeting them, like at a writer's conference.


You can find listings of conferences online and in writers' magazines. Price doesn't always equate suitability. Some very good Christian writers' conferences are held for $100 over a 2 1/2 day weekend (without rooms). I often attend a secular, generic writers' conference, because it's only $25 for a Saturday, and that includes a boxed lunch. It doesn't have sign-up slots, but I've always learned enough and been motivated enough to make it worthwhile. 


I've known a few writers who spend a great deal of time attending conferences, however, and produce little writing. To me, that defeats the purpose. Pick and choose carefully according to what applies to you, absorb as much as you can, and come back home inspired to write and to apply what you've learned. That makes it fun.
_____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment