Friday, July 10, 2015

Two Sides of Boone


If you've read Cleared for Planting, you'll know that in it's early history Boone, North Carolina, was called Councill's Store, because the store run by the Councill family was it's main feature. Today Boone is a far cry from those early beginnings. The city limits have moved out in all directions with many shopping opportunities from quaint shops to malls. Even the downtown area fills with cars and pedestrians.

The cooler mountain climate, Appalachian Mountain scenery, and nearby attractions bring visitors pouring into the area. Blowing Rock, Grandfather Mountain, Tweetsie Railroad, Horn

in the West, Hickory Ridge Living History Museum, and Daniel
Boone Inn are just a few of the places to enjoy. The list is too long to name them all. Winters offer snow and skiing. Appalachian State University also draws many people. 
Travel off the main roads, and you can see another side of the area. Families who have made their homes there for many years still live on family homeplaces. The mountain culture is still alive and well in isolated pockets all through the mountains, and their roots run deep. Boone is also where these families can come to shop, just as their ancestors did when it was called Councill's Store.

I recently returned to Boone to do a book signing at the Watauga County Library. As I went up the mountain it was drizzling rain, and the mountain peaks were hidden behind the low clouds. I first wondered if I would be able to take the photos I'd planned, but I immediately remembered that this would likely burn off soon, and it did. It turned out to be a beautiful day that felt like spring, although it was really summer. I arrived early and rode around for a while. It felt remarkably like I was coming home. I had attended ASU, and my parents were both from Watauga County, so I had many ancestors and relatives from there, but I grew up in neighboring Wilkes County. Yet, these mountains have always wrapped their arms around me and made me feel at home.




______________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment