Thursday, July 23, 2015

Campaign Buttons

When you listen to the news, you can already tell America is gearing up for the coming Presidential election in 2016. At one time, campaign buttons, matchbooks, emery boards, and other freebies were an important part of any campaign. With campaigns getting more and more media oriented, things like campaign buttons aren't as important as they used to be.


I have a small collection of campaign buttons from both political parties. The only one I've purchased is my oldest one - William Howard Taft, who was campaigning in 1908. I paid $5.00 for it years ago. The Truman buttons were free finds. I've managed to get the others when the campaigns were being launched. 



This memorability is getting harder and harder to come by, however. In the last campaign, the staff at the party offices wanted me to serve in some capacity first, although I did talk one worker into letting me having a couple. This is so different than in past years, when they would encourage you to take them. I thought the whole ideal was to get the word out and advertise.













_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment