Sunday, May 31, 2015

True Joy

But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee (Psalm 5:11).

Joy is one of those abstract nouns that's hard to define. My Encarta ® World English Dictionary says it's "great happiness: feelings of great happiness or pleasure, especially of an elevated or spiritual kind." To me, happiness comes because of pleasing circumstances and it's often temporary, but joy is a state of being, a lifestyle that comes from a strong faith and closeness to God.


These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full (John 15:11).

The Bible is filled with joy. It appears 165 times in the King James Version. But I've found that the Lord doesn't give me joy; He is my joy. Because of that, my joy isn't dependent on any set of circumstances, any situation, or whether or not something happens. As long as I love and try to obey the Father, have a close personal relationship with the Son, allow the Spirit to fill me and work in my life, I am bursting with joy. 

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore" (Psalm 16:11).

Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance (Acts 2:28).

I know many of you understand what I'm ineptly trying to explain. Yet, until you get a taste of this true joy, it will sound like the ranting of some fanatic. But once you experience it, you will never be satisfied with less. 

...enter thou into the joy of thy Lord (Matthew 25:23).

And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord...(Psalm 35:9).

________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment