Saturday, May 2, 2015

Bookstore Signings

It's getting harder and harder for authors to hold book signings at bookstores. Over half of the bookstores no longer allow them. I must admit I don't understand this. It seems to me the event would be beneficial to both the author and the bookstore. 


The excuse usually given is that their store is too small. This is just an excuse, because I can sign books with just a chair, and I've held signings in extremely small spaces, where they worked just fine. The Christian bookstores in Ahoskie, NC, and Suffolk, VA, would not consider such a promotion. The same is true for libraries. The librarian at Ahoskie Public Library said she didn't have the space for a signing, but Oakboro Branch Library is holding one, and it's much smaller.


I went to Barnes & Noble in Greenville, NC, Monday evening, and few people came. The assistant manager said that this was usually their slowest time and suggested I reschedule for a Saturday. He said they would do some publicity then, which they hadn't done this time. However, the event coordinator I had to go through would not hear of another opportunity. She wouldn't even listen to my publisher about it. In fact, I got the feeling she scheduled my signing for a time she knew would be dismal, perhaps looking for reasons to show that Barnes & Noble should no longer hold signings.


It's all rather discouraging, but I expected there would be ups and downs. Although some of my efforts haven't worked out, many more have. I'm still having fun with the whole process, and can't wait to see what other adventures I have.
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment