Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Uncle Daniel
Statue of Daniel Boone 

Through some family research by others, I discovered that I am a direct descendant of Daniel Boone's brother, Israel. Over the years, I've met two other people that are are related through one of his siblings. With ten brothers and sisters, the chance of finding others is good.

Daniel was an interesting character. With a true explorer's spirit, he liked the wilderness and preferred it over civilization. He was most at home in the pristine, virgin forests where he could travel for days and not see another human. That's why, as people inched west to settle, he helped them get there, but then he would pick up and move even farther west himself.
on the campus of Appalachian State University

Daniel's parents were Quakers who came to Pennsylvania to settle in William Penn's colony. Squire Boone (the father's name and not a title) came from England in 1713 and married Sarah Morgan of Welsh decent in 1720. They had eleven children. Two of them married outside the Quaker faith and created a controversy within the Friends community. In 1750, Squire sold his Pennsylvania holdings and moved his family to settle on the Yadkin River in North Carolina.

In 1754, Daniel married Rebecca Bryan, and they had ten children.
Cobblestone Magazine, June 1988  (I have an article in it)
Boone not only discovered the Cumberland Trail through the Appalachian Mountains, but he also fought in the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars. Because he kept moving his family farther west as civilization encroached on their cabin, he died in Missouri in 1820 in the home of his youngest son. 

I can see some of Daniel's spirit in me, whether from our country upbringing or genetics. Growing up as an only child, I am comfortable being alone, although I also love people and have a social side too. One of the things I enjoy immensely is to travel. I have been to all fifty states and over forty other countries. I think it's a wonderful way to learn, and jokingly blame Uncle Daniel for being prone to wandering.
_______________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment