Saturday, October 11, 2014

Morning Glory Days


I've always loved morning glories. Something about the cheerful, bright flowers seems to bring a smile to my face and a twinkle to my eyes. Perhaps it's because they always greet me in sun filled mornings or because they're tenacious and persevering. They're prolific and grow through the spring, summer, and fall, too. Mother even made me a Morning Glory quilt because she knew I loved the flower.

China grew the plant early, and its seeds were valued as a laxative. It was introduced in Japan in the 9th century. Ancient Mesoamerican cultures used the sulfur in its juice to vulcanize rubber, predating Goodyear's discovery by nearly 3,000 years. During the Victorian era, morning glories came to represent love.


There are many different types of morning glories. Some are used for food, others for medicines. However, I like the common morning glories found growing on roadsides, trailing fences, and running in corn or soybean fields. I must not be the only one who enjoys seeing them, because people can buy the seeds to plant. So, here's wishing you a glorious, morning glory day.






_________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment