Saturday, October 25, 2014

Potatoes in White Sauce

This recipe came down in my mother's family, but I don't know how it got there. It almost seems French to me, but I can find no French connection, not even with friends. Yet, my family has always liked it. When my daughter was young, she used to call the dish "Lump Bump Potatoes," a fairly good description, I guess.

In my Appalachian Roots series, some of the characters also use this recipe. Although I grew up with it, I have never seen it anywhere else. But because my mother came from the Appalachians, I assumed it fit.


Peel and cut 5 medium potatoes into 1 - 1 1/2 inch chunks. Almost cover with water and boil until they are done but not falling apart. Drain. Fill a pint jar with a tight fitting lid half full of milk. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and 1/3 cup flour. Beat with a fork. Place lid on and shake vigorously. Put 2 tablespoons butter or margarine over drained potatoes and shake jar again while butter melts. Pour milk mixture over potatoes. Bring to just boiling while stirring gently, so not to break up the potatoes chucks. The sauce should be thick enough to almost hold the potatoes together. You can adjust the amount of flour to make the sauce thickness you would prefer.
__________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment