Thursday, October 16, 2014


Poetry Writing

Chowan University
When I saw Chowan University was offering a creative writing course in poetry writing, I jumped at the chance. It was being taught by Dr. Matthew Fullerty, an English professor I already appreciated from a novel writing class. After I signed up for the class, I dug out my poetry folder from so long ago that the pages had turned brown, and I was astounded by how many poems I'd written. I had forgotten there'd been so many. At one time, I had written poetry because it helped firm up my prose and because I had fun with it. Now, I was amazed that many of them appealed to me, for I had never considered myself a poet at all.

The class turned out to be just what I'd been looking for. We
Dr. Matt Fullerty
practiced a wide range of poetry styles, turned in a portfolio, and had a final exam where we wrote more poems. Somehow, with the direction of an excellent English teacher who is also a writer and editor, I managed to make a perfect score in the class. More importantly, I had a wonderful time and became reintroduced to poetry writing. Below is not the best poem from my portfolio, but it's the one that fits best with Cleared for Planting and what I've blogged so far.


Mountain Majesty
(photo by Hugh Morton)

She meditates
As she reaches up to touch the sky,
Among others, yet standing alone,
Filling the horizon with quiet splendor,
Giving my longing spirit a home;

She repairs
By filling in the deep ravines
Mount Jefferson
Time and weather have inflicted,
And pushing back the borders
That have kept me restricted.

She comforts
As she lifts and shows me
A different set of plans,
Grasping me gently but firmly
In her own weathered hands.

She encourages
And makes me understand
There is a better way,
Which causes me to pause
For a moment to pray.

Why, oh why have I
Stayed away so long?
I need to see the mountain’s glory
And listen to her song.




___________________________________________________________________






No comments:

Post a Comment