Saturday, August 23, 2014

Writer’s Dilemmas

Many people have misconceptions about what a writer’s life is like. Most people think that writers make a lot of money. According to research by author, Robin Lee Hatcher, only about 1% of novelists are able to support themselves from their publications. Most are married to the breadwinner or work some other job.

Lisa Samson has had numerous successes as an author, but she recently announced she is leaving the field. She wrote, "The publishing world has changed drastically since I first set pen to paper almost exactly twenty-two years ago on August 8, 1992. Back then, you could just be a novelist.... The author has become increasingly responsible for marketing, publicity, and that platform I mentioned earlier. I'm simply not that kind of writer. I write, create, mull, think. write some more, go look in the fridge, and am not interested in nor gifted for the new responsibilities and I never have been. So, in essence, I'm a lousy person to publish in this new world. I fall down on the job when half of my job isn't writing. In other words, what is now required of an author is something I'm neither equipped for, nor willing to do. I write. That's it." As Lisa explained, today authors have to market and sell their books. They have to establish a platform with social media and websites. And if their first book doesn't sell well enough, there won't be a second one published.

On top of all this, publishers are paying less money. Lisa explains it this way: "I was recently offered a contract that was insufficient for me to support my family. A real step down from the previous one.... it was severely disappointing to have worked faithfully for two decades only to have your work go down in value to that point." So, when you hear of an author, don't assume they're raking in the money. Instead, know that most likely they're putting in hours and hours of hard work with little pay.
__________________________________________




No comments:

Post a Comment