Wednesday, August 27, 2014

How I Write

When I write, I don't do a lot of planning on paper. If I did, I would lose my momentum and enthusiasm to write to learn all about the story myself. I have had the ideas about a book rolling around in my head for months. I know the main characters, the setting, and the story line. I also have certain scenes that come to me all along. When I sit down to write, I start at the beginning and write like I read, fast and furious. This is the exciting part, because I write to see what happens and how the details play out. 

I have also had characters that surprised me. In the Appalachian Series, for example, I actually wrote the second book in the series first. But Emma became a more central character than I had planned, and she told me I needed to go back and write her story. So I did. There was another character in Cleared for Planting that refused to fade away, so I brought that character back in the third book, Uprooted by War. This is another facet that makes writing so much fun. I live with these characters, and some of them become close friends, or so it seems.



If I'm writing a historical novel, I always do quite a bit of research before I start. Yet, things come up along the way that I have to check as I write. I also always check my vocabulary to make sure it's appropriate for that time period as I write.

I should also add, that I always feel God with me, and I pray for His guidance. I want to give Him the glory in my writing, because He gave me the desire and gift to write. For more on this see the "About" posts on this website.


I have written the first draft of a novel in as little as twelve days and five manuscripts have not taken more than two weeks. Of course, others have taken longer, because I didn't have time to write full-time. And, these are only the first drafts. I go through each one, edit, and correct at least a dozen times, if not more. Although I've never outlined or done extensive plot planning on paper, I often make short notes as I write about details I'll need to recall later in the story. I've also done brainstorming, planning, and plotting in my mind.

It isn't unusual for me to have the ideas for four or five books in mind at any one time. They come to me faster than I can write them. The persistent ones that don't leave are the ones I write. I have written eleven books so far. The Appalachian Roots Series has four books, and the first one, Cleared for Planting is being published (see other posts here for more information); I have a contemporary trilogy; one set in early Pennsylvania; one on the Oregon Trail; and a contemporary that begins on a cruise ship. In addition, I've written one Christian non-fiction, On the Road to Jericho. I have also just begun a historical series set in New Mexico, and it will have about five books. I also have another contemporary in mind about a pastor's wife, the break-up of her marriage, and the aftermath. 

Please feel free to ask me any questions about my writing. I love to talk about it, and I like the direction that questions give.
_________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment