Monday, July 11, 2022

Editors Don't Catch Everything

I'm still struggling with the task of trying to put out a book without a single error. It has turned out to be a much harder job than I thought it would be. I self-edit each manuscript at least five times, have beta readers, and have had up to three professional editors for one book, but a few mistakes still slip through no matter what I do. It's frustrating. I have never published a book I've written without a professional editor and wouldn't dream of doing so. I use the very best I can find.

Admittedly, most readers don't seem as concerned about it as I am. In fact, most of them tell me they don't find a mistake in mine. However, I see them, and it bothers me. It also bothers me when I read and find too many mistakes in other authors' works. I have probably only read about two books in the last ten years where I found no mistakes, but I still want mine to be one of them.

Making the Audible books has helped. It's like the final filtering system where I'm given one last chance to catch any remaining mistakes. I usually find under five and correct them. I hope that's all, but I can never be sure. They have a way of appearing later sometimes. I am consoled somewhat by the fact that I've gotten rid of most of them, but I won't be happy until I can put out a mistake-free book every time.


______________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment