Monday, November 22, 2021

Working Through Writer's Block 

Recently, I saw where a writer was talking about writer's block on The Writers' Forum Facebook page, and it got me thinking. I've been blessed in that I've never had writer's block. However, I've now published thirty-six books, and there have been a few times when the writing slowed and became a bit harder. Perhaps the reason these times have not turned into writer's block is that I've learned to write through the slow times.

This means, even when the writing becomes more difficult, I keep at it. I tell myself to write just one more sentence, even if I have to change it later, and then another. When I write a paragraph or two, the writing always eases up and demands less effort. It begins to flow again, often coming so quickly that I can hardly move my fingers over the keyboard fast enough to get it all down.

As I see the scenes, hear the dialogue, and know what my characters are thinking, the story takes shape, and I just need to record it for my readers. The first drafts are always a lot of fun for me. It's in the editing that the real work begins. But that's another issue altogether.

_____________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment