Monday, November 29, 2021

A Western Writer

I have now written eight books set in the Old West, and I have ten more scheduled to be published. I didn't start out in this genre, but I gravitated there. My first set of books is set in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina in the 1800s. But as my husband (who prefers to read only westerns when he reads fiction) says, "They read a lot like westerns." This is true because living in the Appalachian Mountains in the early 1800s was frontier living.

Link to the Appalachian Roots series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078MTFXBP

I grew up as a fan of old western movies with Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Gene Autry, etc. I distinctly remember the cowgirl outfit and all its paraphernalia I found under the Christmas tree one year. I also remember my parents talking about moving to Arizona for my dad's health because the doctor thought the dry air might help his asthma. But in the end, they decided to stay near family, and an asthma attack eventually killed him at age fifty.

I have visited all fifty states, but I hadn't lived in the West until I married my husband, and we lived in New Mexico for two years. Then we had to return to North Carolina because my mother's insurance wouldn't pay for out-of-state expenses any longer, and I was her only caregiver. We bought an old adobe house while there, and I had a great time decorating it in a Southwestern theme. It sold rather quickly, even in a housing market slump. Those two years created many good memories and eventually, the Cactus Creek five-book series.

Link to the Cactus Creek series - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RLG389Z

Today, I am considered a western writer, among other things. I have been asked to join several western MAPS (multiple-author projects), so I see no end to westerns in my future. In fact, I find most of my new story ideas are set in the Old West. It's a great time and place for a historical writer.

______________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment