Thursday, July 9, 2020

Yoked with Jesus


Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light (Matthew 11:28-30).

A yoke is a device used to keep a team of work animals in their proper places and allow them to pull together more easily and efficiently. They can range from very simple devices resembling a thick pole or rod to more elaborate ones. Farmers, transporters, and travelers who needed to pull wagons with heavy loads often used oxen yoked together.


Jesus tells us we need to be yoked with Him. He hints that if we are, He will do most of the work. He will remove the burdens, stress, and strain from our shoulders and make our labor easier. He will give us rest. How special it is to become yoked with Jesus -- to be on His team. We can never go wrong unless we break from our yoke.


I can't understand why anyone would not want that. Yet, we in our humanness, too often want to take control and make our own decisions. In doing so, we mess up big time. How much easier it would be to stay with Christ, go where He leads, and do want He wants. Commit today to surrendering and being yoked with Christ.
_____________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment