Monday, April 6, 2020

National Tartan Day

March 6th is National Tartan Day to honor the strong Scottish heritage in the United States. The Scots came to the American colonies from almost the very beginning and had a strong influence. When the new nation was formed after the Revolutionary War, nine of the thirteen governors were Scots. And of the forty-five U. S. Presidents, thirty-four had Scottish ancestry.


The Scots are noted for their independent spirit and resourcefulness. They fill all walks of life from inventors, doctors, and scientists to writers, artists, and musicians. In the United States today, there are over eleven million people who know they have Scottish roots.


Highlands of Scotland
My husband and I are two of those Americans whose ancestors can be traced back to Scotland. In 2019, we went to Scotland to celebrate our fifteenth anniversary. I grew up in the Appalachians, and it was amazing to see how much parts of the Scottish highlands looked like my mountains back home. I can see why the Scots heavily settled there. And I like the idea of celebrating National Tartan Day.

_____________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment