Monday, April 13, 2020

National Scrabble Day


April 13th is National Scrabble Day. Alfred Butts, an amateur artist, invented the game when he found himself unemployed as an architect during the Depression. He first called the game Lexiko and then Criss-Cross Words. Although he produced a few sets himself, the game never became very popular.


In 1948, however, James Brunot of Connecticut, one of the original owners of Criss-Cross, agreed to pay Butts a royalty on each game sold, renamed the game "Scrabble," and began manufacturing them in an abandoned schoolhouse. Legend has it that their break came in 1952 when the president of Macy's played the game while on vacation and ordered it to sell in his New York store. After that, Brunot was unable to keep up with manufacturing demands and sold the game to Selchow and Righter. Hasbro later ended up with the rights. In the meantime, the game had become so popular it had spread around the world.


Like many authors, teachers, and lifelong learners, I love the game. In fact, surprisingly, I have never been defeated, but friends and family have quit playing me. My stiffest competition came on a cruise ship during a rainstorm against an elderly woman. I won by the skin of my teeth, but I was sweating it for a while. Now, I'm ready to celebrate National Scrabble Day. Anyone up for a game?
_______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment