Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Audibles Eliminate Many of the Mistakes


Recently, I read a copy of a book and then listened to the audio edition, and I realized anew that many of the mistakes are removed in the audible version. Of course, it won't change the content, so the story still needs to be written well. But it will glide over many of the punctuation errors or homonym issues.


A good narrator will even enhance a weak story to some degree. The book I read came across as somewhat juvenile and simplistic when I read the sentences, but it didn't sound nearly as simplistic when I listened to it. At first, I thought the narrator's voice was actually a bit old for this book, but it worked. She was able to do the male characters well and did an excellent job of adding to the Western setting and giving the proper ambiance to the story.


Click on photo to enlarge
I am getting close to having all my books put on Audible, except for the five published by a traditional publisher, and they own the audio-rights to those. Thankfully, I own the rights to those published by my smaller, print-on-demand publisher and the last ones I've published myself. I find that if I have an easy-to-work-with narrator, I enjoy the whole process. It's another way to reach a wider audience, and the audio market is growing.



______________________________





2 comments:

  1. I haven’t gone the route of audibles yet with my books, but you’ve sold me. I’m planning on looking into it soon. Just waiting for my newest grandchild to arrive so I can get back to marketing regularly again. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete