Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Using Profanity as Authentic Language


I recently saw a post by a Christian author who was writing a secular but clean book set during WWII. He wanted to know if he should use some mild profanity in this military setting. It is a debate I hear often among Christian writers. I talked with one writer who insisted she was going to add profanity because it was "true-to-life."


To the first author, I suggested he mention the cursing but not actually use it. He could write something like, "Joe answered with a string of curse words." Since he has published in the Christian market, his fans are likely to be very disappointed if he chooses to use profanity in dialogue. I also doubt that Christian readers will like the second writer's (she hasn't published anything yet) insistence on using foul language. I hear over and over again that's one of the main reasons readers choose to read Christian books, and I agree.


I think relaxing guidelines on profanity is just one more way society is pressuring the Christian to compromise biblical values and moral attitudes. In a time when these qualities are no longer appreciated by the vast majority like they once were, I think we need to stand even firmer to prevent them from vanishing altogether. If our novels really reflected true life, they would be very boring. Since we fictionalize other parts of our stories, why would our writing need to include profanity?
_________________________________

8 comments:

  1. I agree! You can describe the swearing without actually printing the words. We don’t need that to go into our brains and hearts! Whatsoever things are pure......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%. I even delete FB posts that have profane and vulgar speech in them. It's what my mama taught me and I'm sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's what the Bible teaches, too.
      Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth...
      Colossians 3:8-10 - But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
      Proverbs 4:24 - Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
      Matthew 15:11 - Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree! Authors can refer to cursing, swearing, using the Lord's name in vain, or vulgar language. If they feel it's necessary to the story or character, they can write that the character cursed or whatever without writing out the words. We do not need to read them or have them in our brains.

    ReplyDelete