Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Writing Ease


As I complete yet another first draft, I'm amazed all over again at how easy writing is for me. I hear others complaining of writer's block or other struggles, and I can offer little advice because I've never really experienced such things. I don't know exactly why this is true, but I imagine it may be a combination of things.


For one thing, I have an informal selection system for choosing what I write. At any one time, I have at least four or five ideas for books rolling through my mind. Their characters become dear friends, and scenes play like movies in my mind. As the ideas come and go, it takes several months for me to get around to writing one, and those that fade or I lose interest in I just never write. Therefore, when I start writing, I have choices that highly interest me, and I already have the foundation in place.


I think being a pantser also helps me. I write much like I read -- to see what happens. I know my characters and setting well, and I know vaguely how the story will end, but I write to see how it gets there. If I did a lot of story mapping or preplanning, it would destroy the newness and intrigue, and I would have a much harder time finishing the story. Doing it this way makes writing exciting and fun, just like reading a good book.


I also like living in the imaginary worlds I build. I like creating characters I love and seeing where their lives lead. I like infusing my writing with God's truths and messages. As an only child with a mother who loved to tell me stories, I grew up with a vivid imagination. Perhaps this helps me never to run out of things to write about. Whatever the reason, I am most grateful.
_____________________________


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have a few stories rolling around in my head all the time. My biggest problem is separating the characters. I should probably write a series with the same characters. And you are so right. They become my friends... and I miss them when the story is concluded.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete