Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Historicals or Contemporaries


Which type of novels do you prefer to read - historicals or contemporaries? Most of the authors' posts I see say that contemporaries sell much better than historical fiction does. I read and enjoy both, but if asked to choose which genre I prefer, I would have to choose historical. But then, history has always been a special interest of mine.


I also write both historicals and contemporaries. Of the twelve books I've published so far, five have been contemporaries and seven are historicals. As a history major, I even enjoy the research the historical novel requires, and I'm conscientious. I look up every questionable word to make sure it was used during that time period. But it's also fun to write contemporaries where there's not so much constraint.


Just recently, I realized that my historical novels are selling about three times better than my contemporaries. I don't know why it took me so long to see this, because I pay attention to the statistics. Maybe it's because all my novels have continued to steadily sell. I wish I knew the reason the historicals are selling better. My husband thinks it's because I do such thorough research. I wonder if historicals don't usually sell better as a whole. What do you think?
Do you enjoy historicals or contemporaries more?
___________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment