Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Is Grammar Gone?

Although I took extra English classes in college, am certified to teach it, and have taught both English and history, I don't consider myself a grammar guru. As an author, I'm acutely aware of how easily a few mistakes can sneak into a book, even with a professional editor. However, I find the new attitude of too many connected with the publishing industry appalling. I've heard several writers state that grammar really doesn't matter anymore, and it's fine for a writer to choose whatever seemed correct to them. 

When I first began publishing my manuscripts, I looked for a college class in grammar to take as a refresher course, because it had been several years since I'd taught it. There wasn't one! One university told me they taught grammar through their writing classes, but on closer scrutiny, they were teaching almost no grammar. I even had an English professor with a doctorate tell me "It was she" is incorrect and should be "It was her." And I couldn't believe the error-ridden papers put out by the senior English majors.

Recently, an editor at a noted publishing house told me it wasn't necessary to go by grammar rules anymore as long as you were consistent with the way you wrote. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around that. Grammar is there to make comprehension easier and understanding clearer. Are we regressing back to archaic days when there were no grammar or spelling rules? Try reading some of those works and tell me grammar doesn't matter.
_____________________________


6 comments:

  1. As a proofreader/beta reader, it has become confusing to know when to make comments, and when to not comment. The comma rule seems to be thrown out. Another troubling one is using an adjective when an adverb should have been used and vice versa. I'm not a guru, either, but it's easier to read books that aren't so full of errors, even if it's "the character's way to talk". My favorite authors for whom I read, are my favorites because they make so few errors. But it's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I have recently started editing and writing fiction after years of marketing copywriting. I am amazed and dismayed at the general disintegration of grammar skills. I was also forced to adjust my writing - because it's proper it now sounds "formal" and "academic." It's one thing to break the rules now and then for artistry's sake. It's another to act as though there are no rules. As an editor I struggle to known when to change something and when to leave it, and whether I should ignore rules or not. I have to use my intuition a lot more than I expected.

      Delete
    2. There are still quite a few of us who believe in correct grammar, and we need to make our stand. LOL

      Delete
  2. Editors evaluate a writer in part on the quality of their grammar, implying that it affects what the trade thinks of your writing.

    ReplyDelete