Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The Fun and Not So Fun of Writing

I love writing, and I find almost every step in the process enjoyable. My favorite part is writing the first draft. I get to journey to another time and place, make new friends that become like family, and venture into all sorts of situations. I let my characters drive the story, and they're always surprising me. I get so involved with them I've actually shed tears at their heartaches, and I've allowed them to talk me into including them far more than I'd planned. It's exciting to see where each novel takes me.

I write a lot of historicals, and I even enjoy the research. It reminds me of finding the correct puzzle piece to fit where needed. I came through college in history and English, and I guess writing all those research papers trained me well. In addition, I have never lost my love for learning, and that comes in handy, too.


I hear many authors talking about how they hate the marketing end of things. I don't, although I do wish I knew more about it. I see each speaking engagement and each book signing as an opportunity. I love to talk about writing and my books, and I look forward to meeting readers and hearing what they have to say.


If I had to choose one part I didn't like, it would be the editing. The first couple of times are not so bad, but I find I have to go through a manuscript multiple times - before I send it to the editor, during the editorial process, and then at least one final time at the end. I don't mind reading the story again and again, but to try to watch for the mechanics is harder for me, because I get so involved with the story. The reward, however, is seeing a book in print that I can be proud of.


__________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment