Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Tom Swifties

How many of you remember Tom Swifties? They are phrases using adverbs in a statement that almost become a pun. The term comes from a series of books about Tom Swift which started around 1910 and continued into modern times. In an effort to avoid being repetitive, the author constructed sentences using different ways to tell who said it, and some became almost comical.


People began constructing similar sentences for fun and produced many parodies, since they became even more exaggerated than the original ones. There have even been some books published that are filled Tom Swifties. Here are some examples of them:



This salad dressing has too much vinegar," said Tom acidly.
I'll try a martini," Tom said dryly.
"I don't like shellfish," Tom said crabbily.
I won't stick my arm in a lion's mouth again," the animal trainer told off-handedly.
"I might as well be dead," Tom croaked.
"My uncle struck oil," Tom gushed.
"It's too cold in here," Tom stated icily.
"I'm finally here," Tom announced presently.
"I'd like to make some returns on my investment," Tom said with interest.
"I think this spaghetti tastes great." Tom voiced his opinion saucily.
"Do you also write fairy tales?" the brothers asked grimly.


What do you think? Have you had more than enough of the often corny or silly Tom Swifties, or are you inspired to go write some of your own? Maybe you could make a car game of them on your next long trip. Who do you think can quickly make up the most Swifties?
_______________________________






No comments:

Post a Comment