Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Contacting Authors


Fans seemed to be afraid to contact authors for fear they will be some sort of bother. I don't know about other authors, but I love to hear from fans. Perhaps some of the biggest names might be overwhelmed, but most of us aren't. I rarely receive an email and have never received a phone call. Messages and comments on social media are more frequent, but even they have never been overwhelming.


Hearing from fans give me much-needed feedback. I remain so close to all my books that I have no perspective and depend on readers to let me know how I'm doing. I love to talk about writing and books, and my family and friends get tired of hearing it, so questions are always welcomed. I find acclamations and praises encouraging and inspiring, and criticisms help me to know what I need to work on or change. I've heard some authors say they never read their books' reviews. I read everyone of mine, and sometimes I go back and reread them when I need a lift or some encouragement. Thankfully, so far, all eight of my published books have a five-star average on Amazon.


My contact information is posted under the top picture on the homepage of this blog. I feel that when authors give a way to reach them, it's okay to contact them. Writing is a very solitary profession, and it's good to hear from others about how I'm doing and what about my writing does or doesn't appeal to them. This is one way to keep improving and meeting my readers' expectations. It'll make me a better writer.
____________________________________

3 comments:

  1. I agree. Hearing from readers is like a great pat on the back and says "I loved your book so much, I just had to write and say so." Still, I often hit a road block when I ask my readers to review on Amazon, B&N and Goodreads. Is there a better way of asking them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree also! Thanks for sharing!
    Keith Guernsey
    thegurns2005@yahoo.com
    https://amzn.com/153338763X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get good reviews, but they're not a lot of them. It seems the authors with a large number of reviews bribe readers in some way or offer free books all the time. I'm not sure how to handle all this either.

    ReplyDelete