Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Successful Marketing


The editor is now finishing up my ninth book, and I expect it to be out in June. During this time of publishing, I've learned a lot about directly marketing books and had many surprises. I want to share some of this with you, but keep in mind that what is true for me may or may not hold true for other writers.


In looking at my book sale successes, book clubs have been my best outlet. These people understand the value of books, and they don't mind buying them. They love to hear author presentations and ask thoughtful questions. The only problem I've found is there're getting to be fewer of these all the time.


Since I'm a Christian writer and all my profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children, I've found churches to be very supportive. I've probably done more signings at churches than any other place. They may buy more cautiously than book club members, but they do buy, because they're eager to have clean, Christian novels to read.


I've found unexpected success at historical museums and associations for my historical books. And, of the eight books I've published so far, five have been historicals. However, these sources are limited to the area in which the novel is set for the most part. Still, it is definitely something to consider. 

I've done many signings at libraries, because it's easy to get them to agree to an event. However, only the ones at my local library in the town where I've lived the longest and people know me well have been successful. In general, people who go to libraries want to borrow books, not buy them. The libraries themselves buy the books, but that's minimal sales.


Of course, it all depends on the publicity put out prior to the event. I always do better at the places that have taken the time to advertise well ahead of time. In addition, I always do my own advertising to back them up. Unlike many authors I talk with, I actually like the marketing and look forward to speaking and signing my books. I look at them as great opportunities and find it all exciting.


___________________________________

2 comments: