Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Oaxaca Scholarship Fund


My husband and I were married in April 2004, and we spent the school year of 2005-2006 as missionaries in Oaxaca (deep southern), Mexico. I taught high school history, and Jim taught Bible classes to mainly the children of Bible translators. The state of Oaxaca has about 150 different languages spoken, and most of them are Native American. Missionaries go there to translate the Bible into these different languages.


During that year, we noticed that some of the missionaries couldn't afford to send their children to Oaxaca Christian School, and they home-schooled them. Of course, this cut into their ministry time. Although the school is a non-profit, it has expenses and overhead. The teachers are all volunteers, but the the school has rent, utilities, books, supplies and a couple of support staff to pay; and therefore, they charge a tuition. 


When I started to publish my books, I looked for a Christian charity to donate my profits to. I talked with several larger organizations, but I didn't feel my small amount would make a great impact there. After prayerful consideration, I felt led to establish a scholarship fund for needy students at Oaxaca Christian School. I knew of them first-hand and felt even a small amount could make a difference in the lives of many, since the missionaries will touch others.


I truly feel that my writing is both a gift and a calling from God. I have seen ways He's using it to touch lives, and I'm amazed. Both my books and my blogs have been well-received, and I thank God everyday for the opportunities. Donating my profits to the scholarship fund is just another way of making an impact for Him.


___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment