Monday, October 10, 2016

National Native American Day

October 10th is National Native American Day. Having taught American and World history, Native American history and culture has always fascinated me. Now that I'm an author, I think this is reflected in my historical novels.


Many of my readers have told me that Hawk in the first book in the Appalachian Roots series is one of their favorite characters. He is the Cherokee brave who saves Emma from the one she calls Sliced Arm. I actually cried when I wrote the scene with Hawk walking away, but he wouldn't stay gone. He kept insisting I bring him back, and I did in Uprooted by War. At least two readers have asked that I write a novel with Hawk as the main character and tell his story. I don't think that's going to happen, because Hawk seems satisfied with the part of his story we know now, but it's gratifying that readers think that highly of him.


Emma's son ends up marrying a woman whose father is Irish and mother is Cherokee. Sarah is also Hawk's niece. When they go to Salisbury, North Carolina, so her husband can establish his medical practice, Sarah has to endure attitudes of prejudice and hatred because she's part Native American. Luke, their son, continues the family's story in Sown in Dark Soil, and Uprooted by War. His daughter, Rachel, is still fighting unfair treatment in the final book, Transplanted to Red Clay.


In the new series I'm writing, set in New Mexico Territory, Gray Fox becomes a main character. He's a Comanche who ends up with a white family who are his father's friends. Then his son is called a "half-breed," and the family continues to contend with prejudices. But Gray Fox and his son are the type of characters who steal readers' hearts.


So, to celebrate National Native American Day, why not get a good book with Native American characters to read. The four in my Appalachian Roots series are available. Bookstores can order them or you can get them at online stores. And all my profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children. Or look for them at your library.


____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment