Monday, April 27, 2020

National Tell a Story Day


April 27th is National Tell a Story Day. Storytelling is one of the oldest forms of entertainment. It's an ancient practice that predates writing and a way to connect the past to our present. It also fosters imagination and creativity.


There are many festivals across the country and world that emphasize or include storytelling. The International Storytelling Center is in Jonesborough, Tennessee, and an International Storytelling Festival is held there in the fall, usually in October. Since this is the time the fall leaves usually reach their peak color around the Appalachians, it's a great time to visit, and the festival draws large crowds.


The Appalachian Mountain region has long promoted folk tales and produced storytellers. I can remember my mother telling me stories as far back as my memory will go. I think this flowed into a love of books when I started to school and eventually led to a writing career. I don't know how you will celebrate National Tell a Story Day, but I'm always ready to read, write, listen to, or tell a story.
________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment