Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Where My Book Profits Go


Some of you may have read or heard that all my profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children. However, I still get questions about this. In the school year of 2005-2006, my husband and I served as missionaries, teaching in Oaxaca (deep southern), Mexico. I taught high school history, and Jim taught Bible classes at Oaxaca Christian School, mainly working with children of Bible translators. The state of Oaxaca has about 150 different languages spoken, most of which are indigenous languages. Missionaries from all over the world go there to translate the Bible into these different languages.


During that year, we noticed that some of the missionaries couldn't afford to send their children to Oaxaca Christian School, and they home-schooled them instead. Of course, this cut into their ministry time. Although the school is a non-profit, it has expenses and overhead costs. The teachers are all volunteers, but the school has rent, utilities, books, supplies and a couple of support staff to pay, and therefore, they charge tuition. 


When I started to publish my books, I looked for a Christian charity to donate my profits to. I talked with several larger organizations, but I didn't feel my small amount would make a great impact there, and some didn't seem interested. After prayerful consideration, I felt led to establish a scholarship fund for needy students at Oaxaca Christian School. I knew of them first-hand and felt even a small amount could make a difference in the lives of many since the missionaries' work will touch others.


I give all the profits to this fund, taking only the costs for the books I sell personally from it. I spend personal funds for all other expenses, such as traveling to events, advertising, etc. I truly feel that my writing is both a gift and a calling from God. I have seen how He's used it to touch lives, and I'm amazed. Both my books and my blogs have been well-received, and I thank God every day for the opportunities. Donating my profits to the scholarship fund is just another way of being obedient and making a difference.


___________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment