Monday, June 4, 2018

Help for Arthritis


Photo by James Heilman, MD - 
Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0
Arthritis affects millions of people. In the United States, it affects more than 20% of the population. Symptoms include pain, stiffness, swelling, warmth, and decreased motion. There're over a hundred different types of the disease, but the most common are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.


There are many common remedies used to treat the symptoms. Some people take pain relievers, especially ibuprofen, but this should be used with caution. Prolonged use can cause kidney failure, as my mother found out. She was on dialysis the last years of her life. I also have arthritis, but I've been able to manage mine without medications so far. In the process, I have collected some suggestions. Be sure to consult your physician before implementing anything that can affect your health.


First of all, reduce stress and lose weight if needed. These two conditions will adversely affect your health in many ways, including aggravate arthritis. Cinnamon and ginger often help. I drink some ginger in my hot tea most days and it does seem to reduce stiffness and keep the pain down. Some people say that eating gelatin helps. Others take 1 tsp. of vinegar and 1 tsp. honey in 8 oz. water. I haven't tried this. Fish oil is also supposed to help. My doctor recommended that I take a fish oil daily for general health, but I haven't been able to tell if it's helped my arthritis or not. Other sources suggest reducing red meat, coffee, and sugar. Take vitamin D3 and eat more vegetables, especially raw ones.


We are all different, and what works for one may or may not work for another. However, I want to cope with my arthritis for as long as I can without taking pain relievers or invasive medications. So far, I've been able to do this for years.






____________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment