Friday, June 8, 2018

Not Enough of God and His Word

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).

In a recent Wednesday night Bible study, the pastor said something that has still left me shaking my head. He said statistics show that people today, even Christians, are very weak in Bible knowledge, and much of the fault lies with preachers who don't preach the Word. Although there is a grain of truth in that statement, half-truths are dangerous. Satan uses these all the time.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105).

In my opinion, even if the pastor delivers Bible-based sermons and God's messages, it isn't enough to give listeners the knowledge of God and the Bible they need. Christians should be compelled to read and study God's Word for themselves, not from a sense of obligation, but because they love God and want to know Him and His Word. This is how we build a close, personal relationship with our Heavenly Father, something that will sustain us through anything.

Thy word have I hid in my heart mine heart, that I might not sin against thee (Psalm 119:11).

I've heard many of the excuses, the main one being that there's just not enough time in the day. Remember, that everyone has the same amount of time. The crux is in how we prioritize. We tend to make time for the things that are important to us. How much television do you watch, time do you spend on your cell phone, or focus do you give to hobbies or special interests? If we can't find time for God, something is wrong.
___________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment