Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Writing Non-fiction


The first eleven books I've published have been fiction, and the next one or two will be also. That's what I read the most. However, I began publishing as a magazine writer, so I do have a background in non-fiction as well. Therefore, I'm toying with the idea of publishing a Christian non-fiction book in the near future. I have two rough drafts written.


In fact, I almost wrote a non-fiction history book last year. A regional editor in New England contacted me and wanted me to write for The History Press. He'd been impressed with some of my blogs posted on a page for Yankee Magazine. When he found out that I actually lived in the South, he put me in contact with the regional editor here. I did a book proposal on the traditional culture of the Southern Appalachians, but the editor wanted me to narrow it down to talk about a single topic, such as spinning and weaving. In my research, I'd found the need for a broader book surveying more than one narrow topic, and I felt it would be easier for me to write. Therefore, I declined.


At that time, I found myself frantically trying to write down all the stories that were coming fast and furious, anyway. But the idea of writing a non-fiction hasn't left. The manuscript nearest to being ready is On the Road to Jericho, covering the last journey Jesus made from Galilee to Jerusalem and leading to His triumphant entry, arrest, and crucifixion. His teachings on this trip are especially poignant and meaningful with important lessons for us.


However, I am being extremely careful with my commentary and working hard to see that the book reads smoothly. In addition, I want the messages to come across in a clear, concise manner. It appears this book will be shorter than my others, but it will be over a hundred pages. I'm organizing it so it could be used for devotions or just read straight through. I'm excited to be branching off in this direction, but I'll keep writing my novels as well.




________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment