Saturday, January 6, 2018

Paper Dolls Collection


My mother looked up at me from where she'd been sorting through some boxes in the attic in an effort to clean out and downsize. "Do you want your old paper dolls?" Her expression said she hoped I did so she wouldn't have to decide what to do with them. I looked to see what she had. Did I want them? Yes! Yes! And yes! She held up Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Oklahoma from the movie, and Annette Funicello still intact on the back of a 1950's Cheerios box. 


I longed for my other paper dolls from all those years ago, but they'd disappeared over time. To compensate, I began buying interesting paper dolls wherever I found them. They were inexpensive, easy to store, escalated in value, and made a satisfying hobby. I even found some old ones in small, independent stores that didn't have a big turnover in all their stock. 




As our society has become more technology oriented, paper dolls have lost their popularity and are becoming harder to find. However, that just makes the ones collectors have more valuable. I've added some interesting ones, like Snow White, Trixie Belden, Rainbow Brite, Princess Diana, and Mickey & Minnie, etc. It will be something I can pass along to my children and grandchildren that will become more valuable all the time.


______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment