Friday, June 23, 2017

Slow Down, Be Still

Be still and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth (Psalm 46:10).

Most of us live a hurry-up, rush-rush life. There's fast food, automated teller machines, convenience stores, drive through windows, and other measures aimed at customers with busy life-styles. New inventions and technology advertise they make life easier but they often also make it more hectic.


Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought of the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself,... (Matthew 6: 25 & 33-34).

Stress is at an all time high. The American Stress Institute tells us that 44% of Americans say they feel more stressed today than they did 5 years ago, and that's with all the baby-boomers retiring. One out of five people admit to having extreme or debilitating stress. Three out of four doctors' visits are for stress-related illnesses. It increases the likelihood of heart disease, heart attacks, and strokes. It causes overeating, insomnia, and shrinks the brain. It's estimated that stress costs our country $300 billion dollars each year in medical bills and lost productivity.

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower (Psalm 18:2).


Maybe this is one of the reasons waiting on the Lord seems so hard to us. We're not used to being still. In fact, if we think we might have to wait, most of us pull out our smart phones, pads, or e-readers. But God tells us to do just that - to wait on Him. He also set a day aside each week to be a day of rest and worship, because He knew we would need that.

Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart; wait, I say, on the Lord (Psalm 27:14).

Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord...(Exodus 31:15).

God never meant for us to join the rat race, and we don't have to when we find our rest in him. If we surrender to Him, He will direct our paths, and they won't turn into race tracks.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths (Proverbs 3:6).

Teach me thy way, O Lord, and lead me in a plain path...(Psalm 27:11).

__________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment