Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Ending a Series


My readers are always telling me they hate to see my series come to an end. In fact, I've had some of them beg me to pick up and continue writing more novels to go into my Appalachian Roots series. I did give it consideration, but I haven't felt the pull to do that yet. However, I can understand and appreciate their thoughts.


I, too, hate to see a series end. I get to know these characters well, and they become close friends and family. I know each one's nature and their every thought. Sometimes ending a series is almost like losing a loved one, in that I realize I won't likely have new contacts with them again.

My first series, Appalachian Roots, contains four books. In Cleared for Planting, we meet Emma, Edgar, Hawk, Clifton, and Sarah. Sown in Dark Soil features Luke, Emma's grandson, as well as Leah and Ivy. Uprooted by War shows how many of these same characters deal with the Civil War. And Transplanted to Red Clay finishes up the series as the family's story comes full-circle with Luke's daughter.



I have just finished my second series, The Farmers. Book 1, Promise, mainly tells Isaac's story as he tries to make the best of foster care, prejudice, vandalism, and a new-found faith. Peace gives more of Isaac's story, as well as his sister's. Pardon is just coming out and concludes the trilogy with Kevin, the younger brother, who's always been the problem child.


Both of these series have a special spot in my heart and readers tell me in theirs as well. It's both sad and exciting to turn away and move on to write of new friends. I have a New Mexico series of five books in the works, a series of two set in Wyoming, and what I thought would be a standalone is just ending with me needing to write a followup. However, I never forget about the ones already published, even as I move on to work on new ones.

You can read the first two chapters of any of my books free on amazon, and all my profits go to a scholarship fund for missionary children.
________________________________

1 comment:

  1. I kinda got sidetracked in my reading by life. Going to get the other Appalacian series book and start the Farmer series. Keep writing friend.

    ReplyDelete