Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Researching Historical Novels

At my last presentation and book signing, a lady asked me how I went about my historical research. That's a difficult question to answer, because each novel presents its own set of unique research challenges. However, I tried to give her the best general answer I could.


First, I begin my research online. A computer will now provide a wide variety of information and more is added all the time. Then, I go to other sources, like libraries, museums, and colleges to fill in any gaps I see in my information. If that doesn't give me everything I need, I consider buying books to help. This preliminary research usually takes from one to three months. I won't use nearly all the information I gather, but hopefully, it will give me the knowledge to write intelligently.


However, when I begin writing the first draft, there will invariably be more research to do, and I will have to dig harder to find a missing piece of information I need. I also write with English through the Ages by Brohaugh sitting beside me. I use it to look up any questionable word to make sure it was in use during my time period. Of course, the farther back in time I go, the more restricted the vocabulary.

Historicals require more research than contemporaries, but I've yet to write any book that didn't require some research. Coming from a background in history and English, however, I don't mind the research. In fact, I often enjoy it.



_______________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment